First United Methodist Church

Third Church Building At This Location The history of the First United Methodist church is a long one, stretching back to 1883. The original name was the Methodist Episcopal Church of Smith’s Crossroads, though the church experienced a number of name changes. It has had the current name since April of 1968. Before the land

Mountain View United Methodist Church

The feature photo above was taken on June 12, 1949 before the move into the new church building. (Courtesy of Rita Smith) Community sees need for place of worship. Sometime around 1907,  some of the citizens who lived in the Back-Valley community south of Dayton (known as Mountain View-Old Graysville Road) began to talk of

Spivey United Methodist Church

The Spivey United Methodist Church is located at 3680 Blythe Ferry Road in Dayton. The original church affiliation was Methodist Episcopal. The church was organized in the late 1800’s. The property where the church stands was deeded to the trustees in 1899 to J.A. Kelly, King Banks and Haliday Spivey, the trustees of the Methodist

Mt. Moriah A.M.E. Zion Church

The Mt. Moriah A.M.E. Zion Church which was located on Alabama Ave in 1973. According to information from the Rhea County Historical and Genealogy Society, the African Methodist Church was mentioned in a deed dated July 16, 1891.  J.F. Smith and wife M.C. Smith sold lot number 8, in J.J. Abel’s addition in Dayton, to

Spring City Methodist Episcopal Church

Spring City Methodist Episcopal Church North The Spring City Northern Methodist Church was built in the early 1880’s. It was located about halfway down Landreth Street between New Lake Road and East Rhea Ave, behind the current day site of the Rocky Top/McDonald’s business. About twenty years after the Civil War, some of the people

First Baptist Church Fire

First Baptist Church Groundbreaking Dayton Tennessee March 21, 1971 First Baptist Church members held a groundbreaking ceremony for their new church on March 21, 1971.  A disastrous fire destroyed the church on Saturday September 19, 1970. There was nothing left of the church after the fire except a hollow shell with gaping window openings and

error: Content is protected !!