World War II Memorial Monument Dedicated May 1948

Monument Stands To Remember Those Fighting  Men and Women From Rhea County With World War II raging overseas, back at home the Dayton Junior Chamber of Commerce (DJCOC) was busy putting together a project that would memorialize or honor the fighting men and women from Rhea County who had been doing a wonderful job protecting

County Wide Victory Scrap Metal Drive November 1942

Here is graphic proof of the effort put forth by the community to support the scrap metal drive. In one-half day, the Junior Commandos of Spivey rounded up 5,000 lbs. of scrap even after the regular school drive had been finished. (Photo Courtesy Glass Family Collection) Rhea County Supports War Effort with 275,000 lbs scrap

Grand Ole Opry Stars Visit Dayton and Spring City 1944

Grand Ole Opry Tent Theater makes visit to Rhea County During the 1940’s, the Grand Ole Opry Show from Music City USA, Nashville, Tennessee made guest appearances in various communities throughout the south eastern United States. This show was known as the “Grand Ole Opry Tent Theater”. Each week various stars and celebrities from the

Rhea County Hospital New Emergency Room 1979

Hospital staff pose for this photo of the new Emergency Room in 1979. (Photo Courtesy of Cunnyngham Studio Archives) New Emergency Room replaces Outdated 1957 E.R. The feature photo above shows the brand-new Emergency Room at the Rhea County Hospital in early 1979. When the hospital was built in 1957, the trend towards the heavy

Old Pennine Post Office

The old Pennine Post Office was a landmark that had been located on Hwy 27 about three miles south of Spring City. It was formerly known as the post office for Sheffield, Tennessee. The name was changed to Pennine to avoid confusion in railroad shipments with Sheffield, Alabama. Prior to being called Sheffield, it had

Courthouse Clock repaired; rings after 12 years of silence

The Rhea County Courthouse was built in 1891. The clock mechanism that rings the bell in the Rhea County Courthouse bell tower was built and installed in March of 1893, two years after the courthouse was built.  According to the plate on the front, the clock mechanism #747 was built on March 15, 1893, by

Washington Jail Foundation Uncovered 1975

In November of 1975, the foundation of the old Washington Jail was uncovered on the site where it once stood in the Washington community. Pictured above to the right is J.R. Byrd. He was 87 years old at the time of this photo and was a resident in the Washington Community. He stated then that

error: Content is protected !!