Becky Welch Miss Dayton 1965

Miss Becky Welch, daughter of Mrs. Carol Welch was 16 years old when she was crowned as Miss Dayton 1965 in a contest sponsored by the Dayton Jaycettes. Miss Welch a junior at Rhea Central High School was a cheerleader for three years. She was active in the Pep Club, “R” Club, Bible Club and

Dayton Opera House Razed

Progress takes Old Dayton Opera House September 1937 In September 1937, the demands of progress claimed a landmark in downtown Dayton. The old Dayton Opera House, which began its career as a community center for the exhibition of dramatic art, was scheduled to be demolished to make way for the new post office building. The

Virginia Hutcheson of Red Bank buys Kaiser-Frazer in Dayton

Performance record of Kaiser prompts Repeat buyer JUne 24, 1948 Miss. Virginia Hutcheson of Red Bank gets the keys to her 1948 model Kaiser-Frazer from Earl Hicks, local Kaiser-Frazer distributor. Miss Hutcheson stated she was so pleased with the Kaiser, spending less than $30 for maintenance for 21,000 miles driving over 15 months, that she

Arnold Motor Company 1946

Gordon Lee Smith Returns After Military Service In a September of 1946 Dayton Herald news article, Birch Arnold of Arnold Motor Company pictured above, welcomed Gordon Lee Smith back to work after being away serving three and a half years of military service. (Photo Courtesy of George & Becky Arnold) It takes more than just

Dayton Theater

The featured photo of the Dayton Theater shown above was taken in 1941. (Photo Courtesy George & Becky Arnold Collection) First Building In Dayton To Have Air Conditioning Modern Theater Opens in Downtown Dayton The November 21, 1935, edition of the Dayton Herald Newspaper carried a front-page story, “Dayton to Boast New Sound Movie Theater”.

Potters New Store 1931

“Potters” will be the name of the new store in Dayton to be opened next Saturday in the building formerly occupied by Darwin’s, redecorated, and refitted in a very attractive manner. Mrs. Millard, who will manage the store for her father, Judge Potter of Huntsville, Tennessee, a veteran merchant of that community, says the stock

Old Coke Plant Building Demolished in Dayton Tennessee

This building, which was located on south Market Street across of the First Methodist Church was used by a various number of businesses and organizations, over the years. Originally built as the Coco Cola Bottling Plant. An exact date of construction is unknown at this time, but it is believed to have been built in

Dayton Bank Opens Market & 2nd Ave Branch February1957

Dayton Bank Opens in Old American National Bank Building The Dayton Bank & Trust Company held their formal grand opening on Wednesday, February 20, 1957, at their new and remodeled location at the corner of Market Street & 2nd Ave. This is the former location of the old American National Bank which closed during the

Ice Cream and Coke Party February 14, 1957

The fifth grade of Dayton City School were treated to an ice cream and coke party at Robinson’s Drug Store. The group of students came together to express they’re thanks to F.E.Robinson for a gift of calendars presented to the schools. Igou Hodges made the speech of thanks and the entire class introduced themselves to

error: Content is protected !!