The feature photo above was taken on June 12, 1949 before the move into the new church building. (Courtesy of Rita Smith)
Community sees need for place of worship.
Sometime around 1907, some of the citizens who lived in the Back-Valley community south of Dayton (known as Mountain View-Old Graysville Road) began to talk of a place to worship. A place for various denominations to attend and feel welcomed. A place that would be convenient to them, since travel was slow in those days.
Sometime later, the Burrell Spencer family donated the land to be used in building a new place of worship. Mr. James Mansfield with his horse and wagon hauled in the first load of rock for the foundation. The building was a frame structure and was painted white with gray trim.
With the building of the church under construction, a friend of the community happened by and pleaded with those present that they see to it that they select an appropriate name for the church when it was completed. He suggested the name Mountain View Church in Back Valley. The people, being progressive, began to feel the community deserved a more honorable title than Back Valley, so the community became known as Mountain View, taking its name from the church. The Mountain View Methodist Church was organized in 1908.
After many years of in the same building and with the continued growth the congregation saw a need for a newer and bigger church building.
On June 12, 1949, under the pastorate of Rev. C. R. Athern, the church began the morning service in the old building for the last time, with a hymn and a prayer before moving in a body from the old building into the new one across the street in its current location. There were eight persons present that were at the first service in the old building.
Although the church was not complete, it was useable. Progress had been slow at times. The new building was dedicated on June 12, 1952, in a special service conducted by the Rev. C. A. Brabson, District Superintendent, and the Rev. Athearn.
Over the years, the Mountain View United Methodist Church has grown and continues to worship the Lord Jesus Christ from this same location.
Copyright All Rights Reserved -Yesterday In Dayton